Call now!

1-866-571- 9211 OR VISIT WWW.911FLOOD.COM

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fire Damages Apartment Building in Wichita

A discarded cigarette is being blamed for a fire that damaged an apartment building near downtown Wichita Thursday afternoon.

A Sedgwick County sheriff’s deputy saw flames on a second-story balcony at Riverpark Plaza, 400 W. Central, just before 1:30 p.m., a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. The fire burned for half an hour before firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze.

An investigation determined that the fire started after a tenant on the second floor put a just-extinguished cigarette butt into a plastic water bottle filled with butts, Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The fire caused an estimated $35,000 damage to the structure and contents.

Fire damage was limited to the second-story apartment, Bevis said, but the apartment beneath it sustained some water damage. Both apartments are unlivable at the moment, he said.

No injuries were reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment