Call now!

1-866-571- 9211 OR VISIT WWW.911FLOOD.COM

Monday, February 13, 2012

Attic Fire Causes $5,000 in Damage to Home

An attic fire caused about $5,000 worth of damage to a home on Jones Avenue.

Firefighters were called to the home at 11:08 a.m. Monday after the resident smelled smoke, according to Niceville Fire Chief Tommy Mayville.

When the first crew arrived to the home at 11:11 a.m., the fire was confined to the attic and they were able to extinguish it within about 10 minutes, Mayville said.

An investigation revealed that the electrical fire was started after a nail was accidentally driven through a wire inside a wall, he said.

No one was injured in the fire, but Mayville said there were no working smoke alarms inside the home. He urged all residents to install them in their homes.

“So far we’ve been absolutely lucky,” Mayville said. “If these fires had taken place at night, we probably would have been looking at a loss of life… I can’t encourage folks enough to just get out and get smoke detectors.”

Firefighters recommend having at a smoke alarm installed in every bedroom, the living room and the garage, although they would ideally be located in every room.

“Every fire starts out small,” Mayville said. “And that’s what smoke detectors are for.”

Firefighters from Eglin, East Niceville, North Bay and Valparaiso also responded to the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment