Call now!

1-866-571- 9211 OR VISIT WWW.911FLOOD.COM

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mid-Day Fire Damages Home

A noontime fire caused serious damage to a residence at 421 West St on Wednesday, Jan. 25. The fire, which started in a utility room, rapidly spread to the carport ceiling and spread into the attic area. Swainsboro firefighters rapidly knocked down the heavy fire, then opened a vent through the roof to stop the spread of fire through the attic. It was determined that the fire began from combustible materials that were stored too close to the gas water heater. Emanuel EMS and Swainsboro Police assisted at the scene. The Red Cross assisted the residents, as the building is uninhabitable at this time.

According to the Consumers Product Safety Commission, fires involving gas water heaters result in numerous structure fires. These fires result in about 316 injuries and 17 deaths per year.

Fire Chief Mike Strobridge reminds residents that there is always an open flame under all gas water heaters. To stay safe DO NOT store any combustible materials, paper materials, or use flammable liquids, paints, or solvents close to a gas water heater. Also follow these rules for any gas fired heaters in homes and/or workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment