Call now!

1-866-571- 9211 OR VISIT WWW.911FLOOD.COM

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kitchen Fire Damages Apartment in Cookeville

A kitchen fire in an apartment late last night was discovered by neighbors in time for firefighters to save the structure and the life of the occupant.

It happened at a two-story apartment building on Virginia Avenue just after 11 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Cookeville Fire Department.

"A man who lives in an apartment there had been cooking something on the stove and fell asleep," said Lt. Shawn Roberson.

Someone living nearby smelled smoke and called the Fire Department.

"When we arrived, the door was locked, but the dead bolt was missing and smoke was coming out of the hole," Roberson said. "So we made entry and began searching for anyone inside."

He said the occupant, a man, had been cooking and fell asleep. He was found sitting in a chair asleep, covered up by a coat.

"We nudged him, trying to wake him, but he didn't wake up until we just picked him up and started carrying him out," Lt. Roberson said.

The man was not seriously injured and was treated at the scene by Putnam Ambulance medics.

Other occupants of the apartment building were evacuated while firefighters put out the kitchen fire. Damage was minimal, Lt. Roberson said.

No comments:

Post a Comment