Call now!

1-866-571- 9211 OR VISIT WWW.911FLOOD.COM

Friday, March 2, 2012

Small Fire Damages Home in Mandeville

An apparent electrical fire caused minor damage to a home north of Mandeville this morning and sent a woman to a hospital due to smoke inhalation, authorities said. The woman's son required treatment at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Nearly 20 personnel from the parish's 4th Fire Protection District responded to the blaze at 209 Hickory St. at 10:12 a.m., according to district chief David Schmelling.

He said the fire originated from an overloaded electrical outlet in the small, one-story wooden house. The blaze caused minor damage to the wall surrounding the outlet, as well as some smoke damage, according to Schmelling.

Karen Lacassagne, who lives in the home, was taken away in an ambulance due to smoke inhalation.

Her son, Bert Brossette, said he believed a candle that had been left burning started the fire. "I woke up and it had caught on fire. I ran outside, got a hose and put out the fire."

"They took my mother away. She wasn't smart enough to get out of the house," Brossette said between coughing fits and puffs on his cigarette.

Schmelling said the blaze was extinguished shortly after firefighters arrived.

A neighbor, Helen Denison, said she came outside to make sure the fire didn't spread to her house.

She said she could smell the smoke, but couldn't see any flames.

"It doesn't seem like a whole lot," Denison said.

No comments:

Post a Comment